The STCW Security Awareness training is designed for seafarers without designated security duties enabling them to contribute to the enhancement of maritime security through heightened awareness and the ability to recognize security threats and to respond appropriately.
This knowledge shall include (but is not limited to):
- The meaning and the consequential requirements of the different security levels;
- Knowledge of emergency procedures and contingency plans;
- Recognition and detection of weapons, dangerous substances and devices;
- Recognition – on a non-discriminatory basis – of characteristics and behavioral patterns of persons who are likely to threaten security;
- Techniques used to circumvent security measures.
The security awareness course is intended to provide knowledge required to enable personnel without designated security duties in connection with a Ship Security Plan (SSP) to enhance ship security in accordance with the requirements of Chapter XI-2 of SOLAS 74 as amended, the ISPS Code and section A-VI/6 of the STCW Code as amended.
There are no prerequisites to participate in this course.
There is no validity applicable for the STCW Security Awareness certificate.